Research & Publications
Tech Trade in the States: A State-by-State Overview of International Trade in Tech Goods
The TechAmerica Foundation proudly presents our 2014 edition of Tech Trade in the States: A State-by-State Overview of International Trade of Tech Goods. It provides 2012 data on tech trade at the national level and export data for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. The report also provides an estimate as to the number of jobs that are supported by export activities.
This report is a companion report to our flagship publications, Cyberstates and Cybercities, which examine the tech industry at the national, state, and metropolitan levels focusing on employment, wages, establishments, and other factors.
What is clear from this report is that the tech industry is truly a global enterprise with products, facilities, and operations proliferating throughout the world. Specifically for the United States, tech trade plays a critical role in the U.S. economy and in all 50 states.
What the report shows:
- U.S. Tech exports support 1.5 million jobs
- Texas is the largest exporting state with $45 billion in exports
- Vermont has the highest concentration of tech exports
- D.C. and New Mexico are two of the fastest growing tech export locations
- 32 states saw their tech exports increase in 2012
- How does your state rank?